Proposal Project

Memorandum

To                 Korea Expressway Corporation
From          Jongwoo Won, student of Lane Community College
Date           April 25, 2016
Subject     Progress of Proposal Report

111

Introduction

This proposal report is for Korea Expressway Corporation (KEC) to suggest providing free bus passes to students. I interviewed my friends to get an average transportation fee to go to school per month. I also searched the internet. In the city, students from elementary school to high school don’t need to spend money on transportation since they can walk to school. However, compulsory education students in the countryside and college student need to pay to use transportation. Furthermore, college students who cannot do full-time work need to pay the same fee as full time workers. For those reasons, I want to suggest that KEC use the bus pass system as it used in the U.S.

Background

Following the survey, which I did for this report, most college student spend nearly $5 per a day just for going to college. That means college students spend about $100 per a month to go to school. Furthermore, college student need to pay tuition, and that tuition’s average is about $5656. Considering minimum wage in Korea, which college student usually get paid, is near $5, it is pretty high transportation fee to college student. They need to use 20 hours per month to pay transportation fees if they don’t have any support from parents. According to this information, college students need to use student loans, and that means they have debt before earning money.

College Students’

Transportation Fee Per Day

cost person
$ 0~2 3
$ 2~4 2
$ 4~6 10
$ 6~8 4
$ 8~10 1

Proposed Project and Benefit

Because of the background, I started to think of a solution to that problem. I figured out some colleges in the U.S., contract with Bus Companies and provide bus passes to their students at cheaper price. KEC is not a private company, but a publicly owned company. It means KEC is a  company not just for profit, but also for public good. KEC still can earn the money and provide cheaper bus passes to college students, and also college students can reduce their financial pressure.

Procedures

First, KEC need to calculate average profit from college students to make a rough estimate cost of a bus pass. Even though KEC is a publicly owned company, KEC can’t provide free transportation, so KEC will need to calculate the profit. Second, talking with university confederation and student confederation to negotiate bus pass price so that everyone can be satisfied with the price of a bus pass.

Schedule

I wanted to finish this project before September when the fall term gets started. This is schedule for this project.

June 20

Meeting KEC and get rough estimate price for bus pass
June 22 Meeting college student and university confederation and get their hope price
June 23 Balance between KEC’s suggestion price and confederation’s hope price
June 25

Meeting with KEC and confederation leader. Decide price and dates to start to sell.

Qualification

I’m studying at Lane Community College, and my school provides bus passes by term at a cheaper price. Also, I’ve used transportation a lot to go to places far from my house in Korea.

Cost

Bus Fee

Type of Bus Adult High School Student
City bus $ 1 $ 0.7
Intercity Bus $2.5 $ 2

This is current bus fees in Korea. In Korea, people need to buy bus passes by number of use. Also, Intercity bus fee in this chart is price between close cities, so if student lives in far city, the cost will be higher than $2.5. However, I didn’t include those fees since that situation is pretty rare. According to bus fees, students average expense, $100,  $80 looks reasonable price to both sides, students and KEC.

Conclusion

80% of Korean high school students, almost all students, go to college. And, most of that 80% students need to use transportation which is a huge expense to college students. If KEC provides cheaper bus pass to students, college students will be able to reduce their financial burden.

One thought on “Proposal Project”

1. Ryu,

Overall, this is outstanding work.

• You still don’t have the concept of every image having BOTH a caption and an attribution PLUS a discussion of the image in your text, so something to work on.smile
    Your blog (Word or Google doc) toolbar has header fonts hidden under the “paragraph” box, and I’m not yet seeing you use those to good advantage.

You worked hard in this class, and it was a pleasure getting to know you!
    Sandy