Proposal / rough draft

Memorandum

To: Hack song Kim, president of Korea Expressway Corperation

From: Jongwoo Won, Lane Community College student

Date: May 27th, 2016

Subject: Providing Bus Pass to college student

Introduction

This proposal report is for Korea Expressway Corperation(KEC) to suggest providing free bus pass to students. I interviewed my friends to get average transportation fee to go to school per a month. I also searched the internet. In the city side, usually from elementary school student to high school student don’t need to spend transportation fee since they can walk to school. However, compulsory education student in the rural side and college student need to pay to use transportation. Furthermore, college student, who cannot do full-time work, need to pay as same fee as full time worker. From those reason, I started to think to suggest to KEC to use the bus pass system for student in the U.S.

Backgrounds

Following survey, which I did for this report, most college student spend near $5 per a day just for going to college. That means college student use near $100 per a month to go to school. Furthermore, college student need to pay tuition, and that tuition’s average is about $5656. Considering Korean lowest wage, which college student usually get paid, near $5, it’s pretty high transportation fee to college student. They need to use 20 hours per a month to pay transportation fee if they don’t have any support from parents. According this information, college student need to use student loan, and that means they have a debt before earning money.

Proposed Project and Benefit

Because of the back grounds, I started to think solution of that problem, and I figured out some colleges in the U.S., they contract with bus company and provide bus pass with cheaper price. KEC is not private company, but public owned company. It means KEC is a  company not just for pursueing company’s profit, but also for public. KEC still can earn the money with provide cheaper bus pass to college student and also college student can reduce their money pressure.

Procedures

First, KEC need to calculate average profit from college student to make a rough estimate cost of bus pass. Even KEC is public owned company, KEC can’t provide transportation as free, so KEC will need to calulate the profit. Second, talking with university confederation and student confederation to negotiate bus pass price so that everyone can satisfy with bus price of bus pass.

Schedule
Qualification

I’m studing at the Lane Community College, and my school provides bus pass by term with cheaper price. Also, I’ve used transportation a lot to go to place far from my house in the Korea.

Cost

Conclusion

80% of Korean highschool student, almost all student, go to college. And, almost of 80% students need to use transportation with huge amount of money to college student. If KEC provides cheaper bus pass to students, college student can reduce their pressure.

3 thoughts on “Proposal / rough draft”

1. Hey Jongwoo,
    Your proposal project is a good idea. It would be good if Korea could use the same program that is used by LCC to help students with transportation costs. It might be a good idea to put in some specifics about the costs here and how it would transfer over. You might want to put your paper into a word document so it can check your grammar. Please read mine and leave a comment when you can. Thanks!
    -Miranda

2. Hi, J. This is Ryu. I enjoyed reading your proposal and agreed with your idea. I guess that you are still working on this project, so I am very looking forward to seeing your final draft of the proposal project. Like Miranda said, you might want to use a word document that automatically checks your grammar mistakes. I love using it. Overall, you have a good start on this project! Good job.
    -Ryu

3. J,
    I like your idea! I think once you have it all finished with more information with costs, it will make it come together better. I used Word for typing my paper and copied and pasted it into my blog post. It seemed to be easier to edit the paper as I wrote it, rather editing it within the blogging platform. 🙂
    Amanda